Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers

Educational Advising and Testing

Do I really need to take the TOEFL or the IELTS, even though I am fluent in English?
Universities in the United States require students applying from overseas to take the TOEFL or the IELTS as proof of knowledge of the English language. Some U.S. institutions may also accept the PTE and Duolingo English tests.

I am an American citizen. Do I need to take the TOEFL?
Yes, unless you have studied at an English-speaking school for the past three consecutive years.

Will my degree from an American university be recognized in Greece?
To find about the status of American degrees in Greece, you should contact the Hellenic National Academic Recognition and Information Center, the office of the Ministry of Education in Greece that recognizes degrees earned abroad. 
More information at:

Will a distance learning university degree from the United States be recognized in Greece?
Many universities offer complete degree programs over the Internet. In the United States, many of these degrees are considered of equal value to those earned the traditional way. In Greece, you should contact DOATAP at to determine a degree's recognition status.

Where may I find information on the standardized tests that American educational institutions require?
You may obtain testing information by visiting the appropriate testing site on the Internet.

I am a medical doctor and am interested in going to the United States for my residency training. What tests do I need to take? What is the procedure to get certified by the ECFMG?
Graduates of foreign medical schools must take the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exams). Information on the USMLEs can be found at

To be admitted into a residency program in the United States, you must first get certified by ECFMG (the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates). For more information visit:

I have been accepted by a university in the United States; when can I depart for the United States?
The I-20 you have been issued by the US Institution lists your reporting date. You may apply for a visa that allows you to go to the United States up to one month prior to this date. You must also pay the SEVIS fee before showing up for your student visa appointment at the US Embassy in Athens. The institution that has accepted you will inform you about the procedure. See:

How many years of professional work experience do I need after graduating before I can apply to a competitive MBA program in the U.S.?
Most universities require a minimum of two years of experience before they accept your application. Read each application thoroughly to identify any special requirements an institution might have.

Where can I find information about athletic scholarships in the United States?
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) maintains a website with lots of interesting information. Visit it at . Also look at the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) website at  and the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) website at

I have been accepted by a US university; How can I be sure I will find a place in its residency hall?
The first thing you should do when you learn of your acceptance is to request housing information and apply immediately for a dormitory room. Not all schools can accommodate all students in dormitories or student housing, so you should contact the housing office as soon as possible to learn about housing options.

How much does it cost to study at an American university?
The cost of education varies widely from institution to institution. Generally, you should expect to pay from $10,000 to $25,000 per year at state (public) universities, and from $15,000 to $40,000 per year at private universities. The figures listed are for tuition and fees only and do not include living and other expenses. Precise information about the cost of tuition and living expenses should be obtained from each university.

When should I start the application process for a US University?
You should start at least one year before you finish school here in Greece; in other words, about 15 to 18 months before classes begin in the United States. Each university has different deadlines for application submissions, tests, and other steps. You should learn the deadlines of the universities you are interested in and follow them carefully.

How often are the TOEFL and GRE offered?
iBT TOEFL and GRE tests are offered on specific dates in major cities throughout Greece. For additional information and specifics please the by visiting the appropriate testing site on the Internet.

Which are the best schools to apply to in my field?
The educational advisor cannot recommend a particular school. You should choose schools based on academic profile, economic ability, and geographical preference. The educational advisor can, of course, help you identify schools that meet your needs.