For Greek students currently enrolled as Ph.D. candidate at a Greek institution of higher education, who would benefit from a short term research period in the United States.
STEP 1. REGISTRATION PERIOD:
Tuesday, October 6, 2020 – Friday, January 15, 2021
No registration will be accepted beyond January 15, 2021 at midnight EET
STEP 2. ONLINE APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE:
Friday, February 12, 2021
No applications will be accepted after February 12, 2021 at midnight EET
Overview and Guidelines
The Fulbright Foundation in Greece will award up to eight grants (depending on available funding) to Greek doctoral students enrolled at a Greek institution of higher education to conduct fulltime research at universities or research centers in the United States. Fulbright grants are awarded for periods from four to six months. The grant period may begin as early as September 1, 2021 and must be completed by May 31, 2022. The grant period cannot be divided but may be conducted consecutively at a maximum of two universities or research centers. Applications may be submitted only if applicants have received an official letter of invitation from an educational institution in the United States.Applicants should present research proposals that can be completed within their initial grant period and should be clearly outlined at the time of application and nomination.
Awards are open to doctoral students in all fields who are in an advanced stage of research. Applicants are solely responsible for their own affiliation in the United States and verification of fees and costs required by the U.S. host institution. Admission that includes a tuition fee does not necessary secure the same rights and access to facilities as fulltime students. Additional fees may be charged for some resources and facilities. Applicants should allow enough time to secure and establish an affiliation with an educational institution that will host them during their Fulbright grant period. Applicants have to submit well-articulated proposals and be precise about the time needed to accomplish their research objectives.
Important factors for the selection of candidates are: good standing at the home institution, genuine need for U.S. based research, academic excellence, career potential, civic engagement, personal qualities/abilities to serve as a cultural ambassador for Greece. The Foundation will remain in contact with the student's supervisor. All awards are subject to the Fulbright Foundation policies in compliance with the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) guidelines and all governmental regulations regarding visas, immigration, travel and residence.
- Greek citizenship and a valid Greek passport. Candidates with dual citizenship (U.S./Greek) or permanent residence in the United States are not eligible.
- Candidates must have completed a cycle of education beyond the secondary level (BA/MA) at a recognized institution. The first degree must have been obtained from a Greek university (AEI), including Deree-The American College of Greece and Anatolia College.
- A high level of academic achievement, as indicated by academic grades, awards, and recommendations.
- Officially enrolled at a Greek institution of higher education as a Ph.D. candidate and have completed a minimum of 1 year of research at the time of the application and a maximum of 4 years. The candidate needs to remain a student in good standing at his or her institution throughout his or her grant period.
- One of the referees should be your current Ph.D. supervisor endorsing your research in the U.S.
- Permanent residency in Greece and commitment to returning to Greece following the research program to fulfill the mission and the aim of the Fulbright grant.
- Dissertations cannot be completed in the U.S. but will need to be finalized in Greece and submitted to the home institution.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Students may propose research for 4 to 6 months based on need. Visiting Student Researchers should not expect to be able to extend their research. Under worldwide Fulbright policy, extension of sponsorship for Visiting Student Researchers is only possible in cases of extenuating circumstances beyond control that have prevented scheduled research completion..
- Applications for study and research should be made while candidates are in correspondence with specific institutions concerning affiliation. No awards can be confirmed until candidates have submitted an official affiliation letter.
- Official letter of affiliation from the U.S. university/research center which will include an invitation from the Project Director and/or the professor with whom the applicant plans to work endorsing the applicant’s visit to the U.S. institution and stating that the proposed project can be completed within the time frame specified. U.S. institutes must declare if there are minimum funding requirements for hosting research fellows.
- Maintain satisfactory progress in the conduct of his or her research.
- Devote fulltime research on the approved topic; engagement in any gainful employment during the fellowship period is not allowed; this includes on-campus employment such as teaching assignments.
- Preference will be given to candidates below the age of 35 at the time of application.
- Preference will be given to qualified candidates who have not had substantial recent experience in the United States.
- Candidates in the United States at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- The Fulbright grant is a non-renewable grant that provides a monthly maintenance allowance for the duration of the grant period, roundtrip airfare, and limited health and accident insurance. The amount of this allowance depends on the location and is based on the official Monthly Maintenance Rates as published by the U.S. Department of State for each region. The amount fluctuates between $1,320 and $2,660 per month. It is the responsibility of the candidate to inquire about university fees. The grant amount does not cover additional fees such as tuition or insurance and the candidate may be requested to provide additional financial evidence. It is the candidate's responsibility to select a U.S. institution based on their budget and/or to negotiate fee waivers.
- Round trip travel allowance according to Fulbright Travel Policies & Regulations.
- Limited health and accident insurance (for grantee only). All participants will receive the Department of State's health insurance coverage (A+SPE) with a max. benefit of $100,000 per illness or per injury with co-pays of $25 per medical visit and $75 for hospitalizations or emergency entries for the duration of the program. Pre-existing conditions are not covered. Some U.S. universities demand that you enroll in their health insurance plan. Make sure to inquire whether there will be any additional cost.
- Pre-Departure Orientation session.
- Participation in the Annual Awards Ceremony.
- Fulbright Certificate of Award.
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa sponsorship.
- Gateway Orientation, Enrichment Seminars, and other benefits/invitations offered by the cooperating agency in the United States: the Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Membership in the online global community for all participants of U.S. government sponsored exchange programs (such as the Fulbright program). International Exchange Alumni website
Fulbright Awards offer financial support for research in the U.S. However, Fulbright is much more than a scholarship: we offer fellows the opportunity to have a transformative cultural and academic experience and provide unrivaled support both during and after their Fulbright year. While a Fulbright Award is up to six months in length, the benefits do not end there. Receiving a Fulbright Award opens many doors and provides unparalleled global networking opportunities.
Terms and Conditions
- Registration before application is mandatory. The registration serves to establish eligibility. Eligibility cannot be established through e-mail communication.
- A Fulbright Selection Committee will interview shortlisted candidates on a specific date. Candidates will be informed of their interview appointments with the Selection Committee by email. Interviews last for about 20 minutes. Interviews are conducted in English and will be held virtually.
- Candidates will be informed of their nomination status on the day following the end of the interview cycle. Candidates will be designated as ‘primary’, ‘alternate’, or ‘non-selected’. Alternate candidates remain on standby until review and finalization of the overall budget.
- Contact and affiliation agreement with U.S. educational and/or cultural organizations is the sole responsibility of each applicant.
- The Foundation's Board of Directors will review and re-evaluate the eligibility of the grant should the affiliated institution change.
- All candidates selected for a Fulbright grant are required to submit a medical history and examination report before their grants can be finalized. The Fulbright office will provide the necessary Medical Health Form.
- Fulbright grant recipients will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements in accordance with Fulbright Travel Policies & Regulations.
- Awards cannot be deferred to the following year.
- Fulbright grant recipients must travel on a J-1 visa sponsored by the Fulbright Program. It is a condition of the visa that after completion of the research program, scholars must return to Greece and reside there for two years before being eligible to immigrate or apply for permanent residence or a work permit in the United States. The purpose of the two-year home residency requirement is to ensure that exchange visitors return to their home country and fulfill the exchange objectives of the Fulbright Program to broaden and strengthen mutual understanding between Greece and the United States. However, Fulbright alumni can travel to the U.S. for personal reasons (tourism), conferences, short-term research periods, etc.
Registration and Application Procedures
Step 1. Registration
Once submitted, your registration form will be automatically available to the Fulbright Foundation/Greek Program Coordinator for a first review. You will receive a confirmation email in the week following your submission.
Step 2. Online Fulbright Application Procedure
Following successful registration and approval of eligibility, applicants will be given a link to complete the online Fulbright application in English (SLATE platform). Applications which have been submitted without prior registration will not be accepted. When you begin your application, the platform will ask you to confirm that you have contacted the local office (registration) and that you are eligible for this award.
The Fulbright Foundation accepts ONLY applications submitted online through the SLATE platform. Faxed or e-mailed or mailed copies of applications will not be accepted.
The following documents must be completed/ uploaded in the online application:
- Online application form including GDPR consent.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae including academic qualifications (publications, symposia, conferences ...).
- Scanned copies of your university degrees in Greek and English. Transcripts are not required.
- The Study/Research Objective section should clearly detail the background, methodology, and objective of your project. You will need to provide a timeframe that reflects the current status of your Ph.D. research, that proves the feasibility of your planned research within the proposed grant period, and that projects the completion of your Ph.D.
- In the Personal Statement section you will need to include an account of how the applicant’s proposed project and presence in the United States will promote the “mutual understanding” element of the Fulbright Program and the development of educational collaborations between the United States and Greece.
- A writing sample, for instance a chapter of your dissertation or a published conference paper (in English).
- Official letter of invitation from the U.S. institution the applicant plans to attend.
- Scanned copy of your passport as well as scanned copy of any valid U.S. visa issued within the last 4 years. If you do not yet have a passport, you will need to include a copy of your ID card.
- Three letters of reference are requested as part of your Fulbright application. All candidates should register their referees to the online application system. All candidates should inform their referees that they will need to submit their letters of reference online the latest by February 9, 2021. All letters should be written in English. The letters of reference should be written by professors with whom you have studied or pursued research or by someone who has supervised you in work related to your proposed field of study. One of the referees should be your current Ph.D. supervisor endorsing your research in the U.S. Reference letters from your U.S. hosts are not acceptable. Please ensure that both pages of the form are completed.
All candidates are requested to submit one printout of their completed and submitted application to the Fulbright Foundation, 6 Vassilissis Sofias , 10674 Athens, (attn: Greek Program Coordinator) within 10 days of its online submission.
We encourage students to submit their final application in person to the Foundation.
Registration forms can be accessed here through to January 15, 2021.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2021-2022 FULBRIGHT AWARDS FOR GREEK VISITING RESEARCH STUDENTS
Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - Friday, January 15, 2021
ONLINE APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE:
Friday, February 12, 2021
Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - Friday, January 15, 2021
All candidates must register during this period
Friday, February 12, 2021 at midnight
Online application deadline
Within 10 days of your final submission and no later than February 22
Materials submission deadline
one printout of the completed and entire application following submission
March 2-3, 2021
All candidates must have an interview with the Fulbright selection committee in order to qualify for a Fulbright award
March 4, 2021
Notification of results by email
attendance is required
Pre-departure orientation session for Fulbright Grantees
The program is offered only in Athens and attendance is required
September 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022
Grant Implementation Period
Within 30 days of grant completion
Within 30 days of grant completion
Final Grant Report